Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Biscuits...it's what's for breakfast

As you can imagine with 3 boys grocery shopping is quite a chore. I don't frequent the "real" grocery often. We have a Dollar General just miles from our house where I can get milk, bread, and eggs weekly. I don't know what I would do without it. One thing the Dollar General doesn't sell is flour for biscuits. I made it to Wal-Mart last night and remembered I was OUT of flour. Wal-mart was almost out of flour too. Go big or go home.
 
When Walmart is out of smaller bags of flour...you buy the 10 pound bag.
 
 Since I had flour again I made biscuits this morning and thought I would share the recipe. It's so simple. This is a recipe my mom made when I was growing up.
 
3 simple ingredients.
 
2 cups Martha White Self-rising flour
1/4 cup butter flavored Crisco
3/4 cup milk
450 degrees for 12 minutes

 
Start with 2 cups flour.


Add 1/4 cup Crisco.
I've started just scooping some in and eyeballing it just cause I don't like to wash the measuring cup. Tip: if you happen to add too much the biscuits are just more fluffy. 
 

 
With a pastry blender cut up the Crisco into the flour til it's well mixed.


Add milk and mix just until the mix is wet but not too much or the biscuits will loose the fluffiness.

Side note: My mom wouldn't let us taste dough or batter with raw egg in it. I've continued this with my boys. I was allowed to eat biscuit dough so now my boys always come running for a taste of biscuit dough. And I may still lick the fork. 
 

 
Dump dough onto greased and floured pan.


Knead the dough a few times but not too much. You can dust it with some flour so it's not too sticky on your hands. Then roll dough with a rolling pin or press out smooth with your hands.
 

 
Cut the desired size biscuits. It wasn't til I was an adult I realized you normally don't leave the outsides of the biscuits. Mom did it this way so I thought that was the way to do it.
Tip: the biscuits rise better if you bake like this.
Bake 450 degrees for 12 minutes til golden brown.

 
Finished product! Yummy!

When you live on a pig farm; sausage is a good pairing with biscuits.

We eat biscuits a few mornings a week with eggs, sausage, or just jelly depending on how quick breakfast needs to be.
These biscuits are also good with beef roast or country ham.
I'm glad I learned to cook before getting married years ago; and I'm sure my husband is thankful too. 


No comments:

Post a Comment