Tuesday, March 15, 2016

National Ag Day, so what?

You may be thinking the same as my title. So what? Who cares about National Ag Day?
We have Memorial Day, Labor Day, Presidents Day, Mother's Day and many other days to honor certain groups of people.
Today is National Ag Day. What is Ag Day? It's a day to celebrate agriculture.
 Agriculture defined by Webster is the science, art, or practice of cultivating the soil, producing crops, and raising livestock and in varying degrees the preparation and marketing of the resulting products. A few years ago I would have been in the "so what?" category. Now I'm in the "this is my day to celebrate" category. This day was created in 1973 to promote public awareness of agriculture in modern society.
Social media has become a great platform for many. I choose to use my social media to "bridge the gap" from farmer to general public. Since we are 4-5 generations removed from the farm I feel the need to help bring those who read my blog or see my posts on Facebook "back to the farm."
If you had asked me 10 years ago if I knew a farmer. I would have said, "Not really, my grandparents had a farm when I was a child." I hope now you can get a glimpse into our farm and be able to answer yes to that question if asked if you know a farmer. I also hope you feel comfortable to ask me a question about how we raise our corn, soybeans, wheat, and pigs. I'm proud to say I married into a 9th generation farming family. There aren't many occupations that have this long heritage. We do things quite different from the 1800's just like any changing profession. Technology has made things easier and changing with the times has become a necessity. I now have small computer in my phone which allows me to communicate with a world while we are planting corn. We are about to get busy on our farm and I hope to share with you the fun of planting season.
I think farmers are taken for granted because we are just 2% of the population. You need agriculture daily whether you think about it or not; from food to clothes, from shampoo to adhesives, from lumber to tires.
The sun is shining today and we are getting antsy to be in the field. I may not get my boys inside the house today. I'm not sure I want them in the house they are covered in dirt.



No comments:

Post a Comment