Friday, June 13, 2014

Farming is a lifestyle.

I've been at this farmer's wife thing for almost 6 years and I'm still learning that farming is a lifestyle. It's similar to being a mom; you can't hit a switch to turn it off. I've learned through these years that "going out to eat" when crops are in the field means driving past every field on the way to the restaurant. The first few years it would surprise me but now I come to expect it. Last year on our way to our 5 year Anniversary trip we stopped at a tractor dealership between here and there. I'm slowly learning to take these little detours in stride and have patience.
 
We have survived part of the planting season and now are waiting on wheat to get ready for harvest. Once the wheat is harvested soybeans will be planted in those fields. Since we were caught up on field work Big C and I were able to sneak away for the weekend without the boys to a friends wedding in TN. Last Friday I once again learned that farming is a lifestyle. Big C was in search of new-to-us tractor which meant we made a few stops along the way to Memphis; one in KY and one is west TN. We drove an hour on the interstate and the rest were back roads in KY and TN; very pretty country. About 7 hours into our 11 hour trip that should only take 5 hours I was glad the boys weren't with us. We were headed to Memphis and I had my heart set on BBQ for supper which leaving at noon that should be doable. Being from the deep south where there is BBQ around every corner and not sure much here; I was looking forward to some. I'm still not sure how we rolled into town at 11pm. BBQ closed. We settled for appetizers with some good friends.
All in all we enjoyed our trip through the country. Down side we still didn't find a tractor. We had a relaxing 2 nights away and catching up with friends from college.
I got my BBQ for lunch Saturday.
Even though miles and years have separated us it's great to know we can start back where we left off like old times. I was on the same dorm floor with these girls all the way through college.

We cleaned up pretty good and enjoyed our children free weekend. I'm sure they had more fun at the grandparents anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment