Thursday, June 26, 2014

Farming is a Family Affair

I would like to share with you a bit that has taken place on the farm today. The term corporate farm or factory farm is thrown around today and I'm not really sure what is meant by that. I would like to show you what went on this morning on our family farm, which 96% of farms are still family farm. Today we had 4 generations working in the fields and my sons will be the 10th generation to farm if they choose to farm.
 
My father-in-law is harvesting wheat. We harvest the grain and leave the straw to build organic matter to help the soil.

 My husband (Big C) is planting soybeans in the same field where the wheat was harvested.
He also harvested wheat today.
 
My grandfather-in-law is mowing around the fields after they harvest. He's over 80 and still going strong.
 
And the little C's are soaking all of this up as they tag along with me. We started our morning with a run to the bank, watched a delivery of a new grain trailer, replenished a cooler of drinks, took Daddy lunch in the tractor, and helped move equipment to a new field.
It has been very busy today on the farm. We also have a few employees who work with us because we couldn't do it all but we are all working too. We are a family farm.

No comments:

Post a Comment