Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Fun facts about farming

Today is National Agriculture Day;
so I thought I would share some fun facts about farming and our farm.
 
Farming is in the blood of my boys. They are the 10th generation of a farming family. They have roots established in our community. Their ancestors deeded land in 1808. I knew when I married into this family I wasn't leaving this area. ha! We grow corn, soybeans, and wheat on our farm as well as raise pigs.
 
Americans spend 10% of their income on food and the average farmer feeds 155 people. In 1960 they only fed 25 people and 17% of income was spent on food.
Modern technology and better equipment has allowed for a better food supply. We have the safest food supply in the world. 
 
There are 24 million people employed by agriculture in America; that's more than the population of Australia.
About 2% of our population and in 1900 38% were farming. 
 
The average farmer gets 584 hours less sleep than the average American; they are up early and out late. Then they get home have paperwork and planning.
 
Today on this National Agriculture Day I hope you will take the time to think about where your food was grown before it was sent to the grocery store. If you are farming; great. If not, thank a farmer for your food and your opportunity to have an off farm job.
Food is something we take for granted in America. I know I did before I married into this lifestyle. Hopefully you will think about who grew your food and know they are thinking of you and your family. I can now say; we are doing the best at our job to keep your food safe and healthy. Little C1 now asks me who grew the grapes we bought from the grocery.


Snow this morning on our wheat.

No comments:

Post a Comment