Saturday, March 29, 2014

Do cat's really have 9 lives?

 
I didn't grow up being a cat person but have become partial to them since being on the farm. When we first married we got our first kittens. We still have one and he's 5 years now. I say we but Big C says they are my cats. Then we had a stray that showed up at the house and just stayed. She went on to "bless" us with 6 girl kittens. When I realized she was pregnant I said if she had a calico I would keep that one and give the others away. What do you know her first was a calico. Being on the farm cats multiply fast so the momma and Sahara the calico got fixed.
 
Born June 26th, 2009
Fast forward to 2013. We moved this summer two miles from the house where Sahara was born. She did great with the transition as well as the other cat.
 
But....this week curiosity almost killed the cat.
Sahara was playing in the barn and got into one of the grain semi trailers. Thursday morning when I went out to feed the cats and dogs I thought I didn't see Sahara on Wednesday. It's not uncommon for farm cats to go off and play all day but they return to eat.
I was going to watch out for her on Thursday.
 
Then....I get a call from Big C about 10am on Thursday saying come to the tractor/truck mechanic quick your calico is here. I put the boys in the car no shoes or jackets and grab the cat box and some food. Big C was taking the trailer to get the tire fixed before filling the trailer with corn to sell. When he got there the mechanic heard meowing they opened the door where the corn unloads and she shot out. The cats don't like Big C so he just left her alone. He said if he had thought it was one of my cats they wouldn't have let it out. We do have a few strays around too. I got there quick and looked all over and whistled for her. Yes, I whistle for my cats 'cause they learned to come when I whistled for the dogs. No such luck. I left the cage and food. Little C1 was worried about where she was. We went on with our day. Thursday night we had strong winds and rain storm with 40+ mile an hour wind gusts. Friday morning I went back and the food was gone but a raccoon or stray could have eaten it. I then went back Friday afternoon too. Still no luck. I was going to go back this morning and put some food out.
But....when I went out about 10pm last night to feed the 1 lone cat and dogs; there was Sahara on the porch. She was there like nothing was wrong. I had to do a double take and was a little confused. She was alive and well. 
 
So....36 hours and a 3 mile walk somehow she made it home. I'm not sure a dog could do that.
Little C1 said "wow" this morning when he saw her. He was so happy she found her way home; I am too. He then gave her a huge pile of food said she was really hungry from that long walk.
I did think there could be a small chance she could make it home but there are a lot of houses, fields, dogs, cows, and woods between here and there. I'm impressed.
Maybe cats do have 9 lives.
 

  Here she is happy in the shed on this cold and rainy day.
 
Getting a picture of a cat may be harder than a child.

1 comment:

  1. Such a sweet story Leeanne! A keeper for sure! Thanks for sharing! I had a cat we had given away when I was younger and that cat traveled over 10 miles and came back!!Warms your heart, thats for sure! ;)
    Your cat is a cutie and you are looking more and more like your sweet Momma!

    ReplyDelete