Saturday, February 8, 2014

Winter on the Farm

 
The view of my back yard. The snow is pretty and this week it has stayed around. There is also some ice mixed in there too. I knew very little about this winter precipitation before I moved to Kentucky. Growing up in Florida we didn't see anything like this. Although this year some of this winter mess has dipped down into my home state. I quickly learned that ice was no fun after my first winter here. We had a pretty bad ice storm and were without power for 13 days but were able to bunk in with gracious in-laws. I also learned that work doesn't stop on the farm when the weather is tough. Quite the opposite, more work is done to make sure pipes don't freeze and animals are fed and warm. Our pigs are inside and don't have to worry about outside elements; but we have to make sure they have food and water. When others are huddled by the fire Big C is out checking on the pigs. Also working in the fields while the ground is frozen and temps are below freezing to prepare for the coming planting season. The boys and I also get out in these cold temps to deliver meals, supplies and transportation while Big C is out working.

These pictures were taken a week or so ago when we were in the teens all day. It was too cold to snow.
 Little C1 and Little C2 liked running around the house to watch Daddy out the window. Don't mind the crazy blonde hair; they had just woken from naps.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment