Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Reflections on country living

  
          Over 5 years ago when I moved to the country I had quite a few adjustments to make. Our house was surrounded by corn on all four sides and it was very dark at night. I never realized how bright a neighborhood is at night. We put a light in the yard which helped with the dark winters. Also meal time can vary greatly. Lunch actually dinner as it's called in the country is anywhere from 12-3 and dinner or supper in country is anywhere from 5-12. The meal times depend on weather or length of daylight for field work. I also learned Saturday was just another day on the farm; work still had to be done. We did slow down and rest more on Sunday but pigs still had to be fed; some work doesn't stop. When people asked how I was adjusting I said just fine 'cause I have internet, phone, and running water; which was true I did just fine. I also learned about farming quickly. The first 2 years without children I did a good bit out with Big C. I also learned my way around country roads that are hardly wide enough for 2 cars to pass. I learned to adjust quickly.
             During harvest and planting seasons I would find Big C during meal times; sometimes 3 meals out in the tractor or combine. I also learned about baby pigs because I would check on them while Big C was in the field. I learned to hitch a trailer to the truck all by myself. I still can't back one very well or quickly. ha! I remember one night Big C needed just a little bit more corn to finish a field and I was already in bed. I took him another bag in my robe to the field so he could finish. We've also had changes in equipment since I've been on the farm. When we got married the planter we used had individual boxes for each row to be planted. When it was time to fill up the planter anyone who was available was in the field to dump bags of seed in the boxes. Recently we upgraded to a planter that had two big containers for the seed and the seed is delivered to each row. This upgrade has made filling up so much quicker and one person can do it. I also was unaware of all the technology in the farming equipment. There are GPS monitors to show the field and what has been planted, monitors to show about the seeds being planted, and many more I don't understand. Farming is always changing and progressing to keep up with the best. 
       My involvement has changed since the Little C's have come along. The boys and I still deliver meals to the field and ride in the tractors anytime we can. I'm not much help in the actual farming anymore just on the support end. I did learn early on farmers are very hardworking people. Big C puts in crazy hours during busy seasons and talking with other farm wives he's not the only farmer living on lack of sleep. It's truly a profession you have to love.

We are getting Spring Fever. On Monday our new soybean planter was delivered. All the boys were excited to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment