Saturday, April 19, 2014

The time has come....

...Planting season is here.

       I had hopes of filling my freezer with food for quick meals during planting season but the week I injured my hand was the week I had planned for cooking. This week I have worked a little on filling it with a few casseroles and parts of meals. I also made some sausage balls for quick breakfast or evening snacks after late nights in the field. These boys aren't even 2 and 4 and are eating lots so planning ahead helps because meals that lasted for a few left overs are gone the first night.
 
    I will share this recipe it's as simple as 1-2-3.
 Ingredients: 1 package of sausage; cooked (mine tend to be 1 1/2 lbs), 2 cups shredded cheese, 3 cups Bisquick.
I cook the sausage and crumble in small pieces; mix with room temperature American cheese-shredded, and Bisquick. It works best if the sausage is still pretty warm to form the balls. I've had some experimenting to get the consistency quite right. Practice makes them better. The balls cook for  10-12 minutes at 350 degrees. I then let them cool on the cooling rack and put in ziplock bags and freeze. When ready to eat them  just pop them in the toaster oven for about 10 minutes.
 
Today (Saturday) at 5:30pm the planting entourage left the farm to plant the first field; which did get finished after dark.
Little C's waiting to see Daddy

Corn is our first crop of 2014 to be planted; soybeans will come later.
 We are now busy when days are nice like today. The sky was clear and I almost broke a sweat.

I'll leave you with one last thought. You see this large tractor and line of vehicles and yes we take up a lot of road and do move at a slower pace; please be courteous when you meet us. We have flashing lights and trucks to lead the way to warm or block the road. The majority of people we meet are courteous and pull over. I'm sorry if we make you late for an appointment but please remember we are planting food to feed your family. We are doing the best we can and we have to use the roads to get to different fields. Our roads around this county will be full of big tractors and planters for a few months. Let's share the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment