Wednesday, April 9, 2014

It's the little things in life


        I learned last Wednesday how things can change quickly. I had such a great day. The day started with getting the oil changed in the car. Who knew I'd considered this great? Then my mother-in-law stayed with the boys and I got my hair cut. That's  more exciting. I took the plunge and got side bangs; I haven't had bangs since I was 8. We took a stroller ride after lunch which I posted about that for Wordless Wednesday last week. (Yes, I'm breaking that trend today.) Big C was working in the fields and rain was in the forecast. He was spreading fertilizer until the rain came.
 
       When it rains we normally go out to eat because when it's pretty Big C is outside working. I had not planned dinner in hopes that rain was coming. It looked promising on the radar but 6pm rolled around and no rain. The little boys were getting hungry. The quickest thing I thought I could fix was hamburgers. This is when the excitement happened. I normally defrost the frozen patties before separating but not last week. I tried to separate the patties with a sharp knife. The knife slipped and when through the burgers into my hand. Ouch! It actually didn't hurt but the amount of blood coming out I knew it was deep. I'll spare you the other details. Little C1 was a big help getting stuff ready to head to the doctor. I called Big C and told him it wasn't necessary for him to leave the field his mom could take me and the boys. While I was getting stitched up the boys ate supper with grandma at Sonic. So in the end we did eat out.
 
        Lesson learned don't use a knife to separate frozen burgers. I knew I shouldn't have but I've done it before and not had problems. Just use the microwave and wait a few minutes. So thanks to my mother-in-law for helping with the boys and helping get them in bed. She came and washed dishes and bathed the boys the next day since I couldn't put my hand in water for 36 hours. These are the little things in life we take for granted. Most of Thursday I couldn't use my right hand it was so sore. Little things like lifting Little C2 out of his crib. Big C was around to help me. Other things like putting my hair in a ponytail, putting socks on Little C2, twisting lids, even clipping a nail I couldn't do for a day or so.  
 
      I became thankful that I didn't cut any nerves or tendons that would permanently alter my hand. It could have been a lot worse. I can deal with a few days of pain. I'll go Friday to have the stitches out. I also am thankful for Big C's help and his mother's help with the boys. Little C1 has been helpful too; I couldn't even open the canned biscuits the first morning. He was more than willing to help pull them out and put on the pan.
 
     This post is a long explanation for why I haven't been around the last week. I couldn't use a keyboard for a few days then I was trying to catch up on housework. Be thankful for little things.

1 comment:

  1. OUCH! Glad you are OK. I am sure that all of your C's (and big C's mom) took great care of you. And the littles got a burger after all.

    ReplyDelete